Tuesday, March 11, 2008

24 hrs Old Pueblo Recap

What a roller coaster this trip was. It was raining when we got there, and Jen and I were thinking it was going to be a mud fest. Unbelievably, it began snowing at the venue upon arrival, and by morning, we had about an inch and a half of snow on the tent.




Doing our best to stay dry...




Jen trying to avoid cabin fever while it rains outside...




This is the last thing you want to do at Old Pueblo. Somebody told me these were called "Teddy Bears."






Once the race started, the clouds parted, sun came out, and the course got nice and tacky. Not very muddy at all. We stayed right around 3rd for a while, but by nightfall, we started having some challenges. First Jennifer had 3 flats in 2 laps, (a flat at OP? imagine that...) then the cold temps began to play a factor for both of us. We have learned a couple of good lessons about how critical it is to maintain our core temperature.

After being sidelined for around 4 hours, we were back at it, and ended up 6th. Or so we thought. To our surprise, we were called to the podium for 5th place. Something about the team ahead of us being DQ'd (never got the details why).

I made it through OP without any mishaps or flats, and then, while taking photos for the shop, I crashed on the "option." At first I thought I was just a little banged up, but later realized that I probably broke at least one bone in my left hand.

All things considered, it was a great time. OP is one of the events I think about all year. Hats off to Todd for another Epic Event, and for having a coed Duo class. Not many promoters offer a coed class, and I know a few couples who might come out to these races if they did.

Most of '08 Jennifer and I will be racing Solo, but hopefully pairing up again for TransRockies (if we get in!).

See You at the races!

No comments: