Thursday, August 7, 2008

Olmstead, flats, and Cougars

Lately, I've been flatting alot. One would think that 50lbs would keep the pinchies away. dunno...

So today, I'm getting ready for a lap on Olmstead, and there's this guy parked next to me. He starts up with "Are ya 'fraid of cougars?" Nope. "You should be," he says, "why, I wouldn't go out there without at least a .38" This went on and on as I was gearing up to go, trying to convince me that I was in mortal danger. His parting words were something like, "If yer truck's still here tomorrow, I'll notify the authorities." "Thanks," I said, and rode off.

Now... it wasn't too far along that I feel something on my arm, and look down to see a wasp planting his stinger in me. Good thing I'm not allergic. Though I was cruising along too fast for that to be going on, but there he was. Got me good before I could get stopped.

Then came the best part... A double flat on the same rock. Since i'm about 1/2 to 3/4 the way around, there's no easy way back. I decided to backtrack a bit and get out to the road that runs through the place. At this point, I started thinking about that dude back at the truck telling me I would probably die out here. I ended up walking about 5 miles back to the truck, pushing my bike with both tires flat, thinking about all this crazy stuff and how my girlfriend would be pleased.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: